Wednesday, May 18, 2016

dot 2, dot 3

I find myself watching the over the air "dot-channels" more than any other TV stations/networks. I guess my only time to watch TV is generally from 8:30PM or after. I'm really like watching Hill Street Blues on 8.3. It's on at 9PM. HSB was probably my favorite show when in high school. It still holds up pretty well in my opinion.

It's still a little hokey at times. But it is the grand daddy of realistic cop/law dramas. It does a nice mix of drama and comedy.

Something that I noticed, is that my political opinion hasn't changed in the 30 years since this show aired. I really disliked the character of Henry Goldblum back then. His character is a detective that is a bleeding heart liberal. Sticking up for dirtballs, and just generally being whiny and full of doubt all the time. Just didn't like the guy. And the funny thing is, I fell the same way now. Just find him annoying.

I don't have a favorite character. If I had to pick one, I'd pick a guy that didn't get on the show until the last couple years, and he wasn't ever on that much. But that was Sid the Snitch. The character was really pathetic, a sleazeball and very self-interested, but he had a good heart in the end. Here he is in action...

Now at 9:30, I might flip over to 8.2 to watch Hogan's Heroes. Probably my favorite live action 1/2 hour comedy show ever. They had some stinkers, but all in all a good show. I can forgive the laugh track, which is awful. And I get, POW camps are not funny, and they were nothing like this. But in the end, they are making fun of Nazis, so that is good.

I might flip over to 13-3 at 10PM. They replay old Tonight Shows with Johnny Carson. I didn't really watch him much back then, mostly because I generally was in bed then. But I watched enough to know that he was King of Late Night. So I like to watch his opening monologues. They are flippin' hilarious. Of course a lot of the jokes are time bound. I've heard a lot of Al Haig jokes lately. I'm sure they would fall flat to anybody over 40. But lots of really laugh out loud funny stuff that is timeless. Johnny is a really good interviewer too. Whether it is a staple like Tony Randall, or some starlet that was never heard from again.

So if you have your rabbit ears hooked up, give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but say I like this topic. Not for the political discussion part, but simply rather about the old shows that have come back to TV. ME Tv!
    First to speak on the Johnny Carson topic- I have discovered un-purposefully that I've become a regular watcher of the re-runs and truly love every episode. He's just darn funny both in the monologue and interviews as you stated, but also just the show in general makes me laugh out loud. But honestly I think I watch it more for seeing the interesting fashion statements of the day and just how strange some of the guests dress in their 70s garb. #dingobootsAndAscots

    Onto Hill Street Blues. I capital letter HATE that show. Never watched it when it was on the first time and although it's simple to click the remote up arrow to pass it by in my channel
    surfing, I feel the need to growl under by breath each time since I need to do it so often.. why?? Because it feels like this crappy show is on replay now ALL the time compared to say Black Sheep Squadron. Which I don't watch either, but it certainly isn't on often enough to tick me off having to click past it each and every time I turn to that channel.

    ReplyDelete