Sunday, February 14, 2016

Death By Design

Less than a week to go before opening night for the play that I am in, Death By Design. It is a dinner theatre for the 1st 2 showings, and then a straight show on the final day, Sunday. Still tickets available for that one, but the dinner shows on Friday and Saturday night are sold out. (You can get tickets for the Sunday show at PDG Printing in Story City)

I haven't been in a play in over 10 years, probably closer to 15, when I was in Murder at Rutherford House. In that one, I played the part of Wendle Weedle, the detective out to solve a murder. Judge Story Theatrical Troupe has had off and on dinner theatre shows over the years. Being an empty nester, I decided to jump in and take another crack at it when this show opened up.

HERE is a link to the Judge Story Theatrical Troupe page, and the official description of Death By Design.

In my part, I play Walter Pearce, a conservative politician. Not too much of a stretch to play the part I guess. I have to deal with a bunch of moral degenerates when we meet up at a country estate in 1931 England. Somebody gets murdered, and somebody is the murderer. Is it me, the actress, the playwright, the chauffeur, the maid, the mysterious visitor, the artist, or the young Bernie Sanders?

When I first read the script, I didn't think it was very funny. But as it gets acted out, it is a pretty entertaining show. The ending might give you the tilted dog head confused look. But that's ok. It is not Masterpiece Theatre by any means.

I've enjoyed getting to do my role. I have to play the part with a stick up my ass, so to speak. Of course I am the conservative politician, but I also have an ulterior motive, namely putting the moves on a fading actress. So that's fun.

I've got my lines down pretty well. I made a recording of my parts, and then I listen to them on a CD when I drive around for work. Less listening to sports talk radio, but that's OK. I am hardly a theatre major. So the thing that has me interested to see, is how I remember the lines in front of a crowd. Laughter and such can throw off the timing, that you get used to in a closed practice. So I guess we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment