Saturday, January 2, 2016

Samsung Gear VR Virtual Reality Headset Review

I bought a Samsung Gear VR virtual reality headset for myself for Christmas. Just wanted to comment on it, and give it a review. The above video is what it looks like, and how to install a phone. The video itself is not a review.

So I paid $99 for it from Amazon. To use it, you need a Samsung Note 4 or 5 (I think). I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 (it doesn't work on the S5 or lower). It has external jacks so you can charge while watching, or hook up a headset/ear buds. You can also adjust the focus and adjust the volume, on two other exterior "buttons".

I've never really used a VR setup before. And simply put, it is awesome. It is amazing how quick the response is, as you turn your head, and look around at stuff.

So what does it do? I'm not a gamer, but you can download games, and use a remote controller to play games. Haven't done that yet, but I imagine it is pretty cool, if that is what you are into, based on how other stuff works. Though it probably isn't a focus of the unit, where I got the most wows, when passing it around at a Christmas party, was the VR theatre, where you can watch your own videos on the phone. It plays your video (and I put some GoPro action videos on), and makes it as if you are sitting in a theatre watching your video on a big screen. Chairs are all around you, the carpet, and the whole theatre scene. Hard to describe, but basically it is like watching your movies in a theatre. You can also change from the theatre mode, to a home theatre, or if you were an ant watching on a smart phone, or if you were sitting on the moon, watching a video on a screen.

Of course they have the usual VR movies you can watch. I haven't watched a whole movie, but I've done the flying on a ship in a Star Wars short, and just their promotional videos. It is like putting you right where the camera is, as you have a 360 degree field of vision.

There are also apps to be able to watch YouTube videos, so that is kinda cool too. It is like watching a YouTube video in a theatre, if there is something you want to watch in that mode.

The headset has a foam "seal" that really cuts out outside light. It doesn't weigh very much. The phone itself is the heavy part. Generally speaking, it doesn't affect my eyes much. I watched some videos with a bunch of bounce, and that did give me a little headache. It has a headstrap to secure to your head, and there is enough room to watch with glasses, if that is how you roll.

All in all a fun gift to myself. I'm guessing gamers would absolutely love this. I'm not a big movie watcher, but I'm going to watch some on this. As content becomes even more available, I can see this catching on more than the 3D TV thing. I have a 3D TV, and it kinda cool, but this immerses you in what you are watching.

So if you have a compatable phone, and $99 to spend on fun, I endorse picking one up.

4 comments:

  1. Enjoying your blog Mr Fritz - Very Nice product review. Although my frugality prevents me from actually purchasing a VR headset, your description is intriguing to the degree that since I too own an S6, I may be forced to request that you bring it to show and tell for me to try out. ~fascinated coworker~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will bring it along the next time I am at Udale, Mr. Mystery Coworker. Though I pretty much know who you are. The frugality is a good clue!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to experience this as well. So are there movies made, say kayaking down a river, that allow you to take in 360 views? This could be a very entertaining unit to own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete